According to Malaysian Quarantine and Inspection Services Department (MAQIS), written approval should be obtained from Director General of MAQIS for importing restricted breeds of dogs. The following conditions (extracted from MAQIS) must be fulfilled prior to application of an import permit;
- Dogs shall not be less than 3 months of age at the time of import.
- Dogs shall have a pedigree certificate issued by an approved organization in the country of export (name and address of the organization shall be specified).
- Dogs shall be identified using an ISO (Std 11784 & 11785) compliant microchip and the identification codes clearly recorded in the pedigree certificate.
- Name and address of the importer who shall be responsible for the care and handling of the dog shall be clearly stated in the application for approval.
- The premise or residence of the dog shall be inspected by the Director General of MAQIS to verify the facilities regarding kennel, the size of the compound, safety and control of the dog.
- The importer shall provide a written declaration that the dog:
- is a personal pet and not intended for sale (Importation of restricted breeds of dogs is allowed as a personal pet of the importer or for security purpose only)
- shall be kept secured within the compound at all times
- shall be kept on a leash and muzzled at all times in public area
- shall be under the control of a trained and skilled handler at all times (for Security Dogs)
Below are the list of restricted breeds of dogs in Malaysia:
- Bull Mastiff
- Bull Terrier
- German Shepard/Alsatian
- Perro de Presa Canario
- Dogue De Bordeaux
- Rafeiro Alentejo
- Estrela Mountain dog
Information extracted from:
Majlis Perbandaran Jasin Dog License Application Guideline